Kishtwar || Four residential houses were ruined to ashes today after a massive fire broke out in the Chingam area at Chatroo in Kishtwar district. However, no human life was lost in the incident.
The fire took place around 30 km from the district headquarters in the morning today. It started from a house and spread to other structures before the villagers and rescue teams could act.
Superintendent of Police (ASP), Kishtwar, Pardeep Singh Parihar said, “The police is investigating the incident. It seems a short circuit started the fire and spread to adjoining buildings made of wood.”
“The fire broke out around 6.30 am, when most of the villagers were sleeping. So, they could not save any of their belongongs,” the officer said.
“A local team of the police along with the SHO swung into action without any delay and started a rescue operation with the help of villages but failed to douse the devastating fire due to unavailability of fire brigade,” the officer added.
The district administration provided Rs 20,000, 40 blankets, four kitchen sets, four solar lights, four tents and other household items to Krishan Lal, Shib Ram, Laxshman Dass and Roshan Lal, whose houses were gutted.