Connect with us

Cover Story

Nitish Kumar walks into Modi’s arms; to take oath at 10 am – Jammu Voice

Published

on


Nitish Kumar will take oath as Bihar Chief Minister on Thursday with support from his erstwhile partner BJP after he dropped a political bombshell and quit the post on Wednesday evening.

In his surprise decision, on a day of high political drama, Nitish sank the grand alliance he had formed with the RJD and the Congress about 20 months ago to deal the BJP a rare state defeat.

Nitish said he had responded to the “voice of conscience” as it had become impossible to function in the coalition, referring to a maze of corruption charges against RJD chief Lalu Prasad Yadav and his two sons — Deputy CM Tejashwi Yadav and Health Minister Tej Pratap Yadav.

Soon after the resignation, JD (U) and BJP leaders met at Nitish’s residence in Patna to finalise the contours of the new government. The swearing-in ceremony is likely to take place at 5 pm.

Going by sheer numbers (see graphics), the JD (U) and the BJP are in a position to secure a narrow majority in the Bihar Assembly.

Meanwhile, Bihar Governor KN Tripathi had to be admitted to a hospital in Patna due to a nasal infection, but was discharged later in the night.

Bihar BJP leader Sushil Kumar Modi, who was Nitish’s deputy in his previous government, is likely to get the same portfolio. NDA and JD(U) MLAs will meet and elect Nitish as their leader, BJP will be part of the government, said Sushil Modi.

BJP’s Anil Jain and JP Nadda will travel to Patna on Thursday.

PM Narendra Modi and many BJP leaders from Delhi are likely to attend the oath taking, but there was no official confirmation.

Lalu reacted angrily and attacked Nitish, asking if he did not know about the alleged corruption charges when he formed the government. “Nitish knew he was facing murder and Arms Act charges,” said Lalu, indicating he had already struck a deal with the BJP to form a new government in Bihar.

Nitish was likely to meet the Governor late in the night to stake claim to form the government. The RJD, the single largest party in the Assembly, also sought time from Tripathi to stake a counter claim.

The Congress will observe a “vishwasghat diwas” in Bihar on Thursday. “We are deeply disappointed,” said Randeep Surjewala of the party whose vice-president Rahul Gandhi was apparently kept out of the loop by Nitish on his resignation.

The move can shake up national politics as it comes as a big setback for Opposition parties trying to stitch together an alliance around the likes of Nitish against Prime Minister Narendra Modi ahead of the 2019 general elections.

“In the circumstances that prevail in Bihar, it became difficult to run the government,” Nitish told reporters outside Raj Bhavan after submitting his resignation to Governor Tripathi, who accepted the same but asked him to continue as the officiating CM till an alternative arrangement was put in place.

PM Modi immediately put out a tweet and congratulated Kumar for “joining the fight against corruption”. Nitish also reciprocated and thanked the PM.

Having snapped ties with the BJP and walked out of the NDA in 2013, Nitish was heading Bihar’s Mahagathbandhan government, always seen as an alliance of contradictions.

Nitish’s decisions to back the NDA’s Presidential nominee and the Centre’s GST launch and Demonetisation had further escalated verbal sniping with his two allies in Bihar. Pressure was mounting on him to sack Tejashwi. Nitish’s resignation might have been triggered by Lalu’s Wednesday comment that he made him the CM and Tejashwi will not quit.

“I never asked for anyone’s resignation… I had just sought a public explanation on the allegations of corruption against Tejashwi… I tried to follow the Gathbandhan-dharma and find a solution, it’s not possible to work in this environment,” Nitish said, claiming that he had spoken to both Rahul and Lalu, but things did not work out.

Without naming the Yadav family, Nitish quoted Mahatma Gandhi, saying that there was enough to satisfy people’s need but not greed. “When I backed Demonetisation, I had asked the PM to hit out at Benami properties after Demonetisation. In such a situation, how will I answer questions on the allegations made against a member of my government?” he asked.

“They would have grown in stature had they explained, resigned. But they have lost an opportunity to re-engage with the people,” Nitish said, referring to Lalu and his sons’ alleged involvement in corruption.

“They have their way, I have mine. I will move consistently on mine. There was no way this could continue,” Kumar said, adding he had to listen to his “voice of conscience”.

Continue Reading

Cover Story

Amid Chorus for Federal Probe Into Kathua Rape, a Look at CBI’s Track Record in J&K

Published

on

Family members of those accused in the rape and murder of an eight-year-old in Jammu’s Kathua have been sitting on a protest since their arrest, demanding an investigation by the Central Bureau of Investigation. Their contention is that the current probe by the state police’s Crime Branch is “biased”. Members of the lawyers’ body in Kathua too has demanded the same. As demand swells for a CBI probe, News18 takes a look at the federal agency’s track record in Jammu and Kashmir.

Shopian Double Rape and Murder

On May 30, 2009, the lifeless bodies of a 17-year-old and her 22-year-old sister-in-law were discovered near the shallow Rambi Ara stream in Shopian, south Kashmir. The two had gone to work on their small orchard across the Rambi Ara the previous day.

On the orders of the district magistrate, a three-member team of doctors was called in from nearby Pulwama district to conduct an autopsy. The team confirmed that both women had been raped. A report issued by the Forensic Science Lab Srinagar also confirmed the rape and murder on June 6, 2009. The family alleged that the women were raped and killed by Indian army men.

After a massive public outrage, the state government handed over the investigation to CBI. However, the agency gave a clean chit to five police officials who had earlier been indicted by a Special Investigation Team (SIT) of the state police that had probed the case earlier.

The CBI attributed the cause of the teen’s death to “asphyxia as a result of ante-mortem drowning” in a stream and said the injuries on her head were “simple in nature, not sufficient to cause death”. In the case of the 22-year-old, the charge-sheet said there were “no ante-mortem injuries” and death was a result of drowning by “asphyxia”.

Pathribal Fake Encounter

In 2003, the CBI took over investigation into the killing of five civilians by Army allegedly in a staged gunfight. The army had picked up the civilians from their homes, killed them and mutilated their bodies beyond recognition before labeling them as Pakistani militants responsible for massacre of 36 Sikhs at Chittisinghpora in 2000.

The CBI in its charge sheet stated that following the killing of Sikhs in Chittisinghpora, the army unit based in the area was under “tremendous psychological pressure” to show results. The CBI indicted personnel of 7 Rashtriya Rifles camped at Shangus in the fake encounter.

The CBI had said the army personnel entered into a criminal conspiracy to pick up some innocent persons and staged an encounter.

The Supreme Court on May 1, 2012 gave the army eight weeks to decide whether the accused should be tried by a regular criminal court or face a court-martial.

On June 29, 2012, the army opted for Court of Inquiry to try the five accused. However, on January 23, 2014, army the closed the case saying the evidence recorded couldn’t establish prima facie case against any of the accused.

The families, in April 2016, filed a writ petition in the High Court, seeking re-opening of the case and re-conducting the trial of all the accused in a criminal court. The writ was dismissed.

Later, the families filed the same writ in the Supreme Court, which on August 17 last year issued notice to the Government of India, army and the CBI, rekindling hope among the families of the victims.

The Supreme Court, however, in August 2017, gave a glimmer of hope to the kin of five villagers killed by the army by admitting a plea challenging a Jammu and Kashmir High Court verdict that upheld the Army’s decision to close proceedings against five soldiers involved.

2006 Srinagar Sex Scandal

The CBI had also investigated the infamous 2006 sex scandal in which two ministers, top police officers and several influential people were among those named as accused. They were charged under various sections of the Ranbir Penal Code, the criminal code applicable in the states, including under Section 376 for the rape of a 15-year-old girl.

The other charges included procurement of girls, intimidation of witnesses and wrongful confinement of the victims.

The trial of the 14 accused was shifted from Srinagar to a Chandigarh CBI court on orders of the Supreme Court.

The court acquitted most of the accused and the CBI drew criticism for not following the case meticulously.

In February this year, a woman who was allegedly involved in the sex scandal claimed that the CBI had forced her to change her testimony.

Interestingly, the name of then J&K CM Omar Abdullah had also surfaced in the case, which led to him resigning from the post in July 2009. The governor had eventually rejected his resignation.

Killing of 4 IAF officers in 1990

The CBI also probed the killing of four Indian Air Force personnel on the outskirts of Srinagar on January 25, 1990.

According to an FIR registered in Police Station Sadder, unidentified militants fired upon Air Force employees living as tenants in Rawalpora, Srinagar on January 25, 1990. In the indiscriminate firing, 40 employees, including a woman, were injured, and two died on the spot. The assailants escaped from the spot.

The CBI took up the investigation on the basis of a state government notification in 1990 and a charge-sheet was filed on August 31, 1990 under Section 120-B read with Section 302 of the RPC, Section 3 and 4 of TADA and Section 27 of Arms Act in the court of 3rd Additional Sessions Judge (TADA case Jammu) against the accused persons.

During the course of trial, a transfer application was filed by the accused, which was rejected after which they approached the High Court in Srinagar to transfer the case. The High Court stayed the proceedings of the trial court. For now, the court at Srinagar is hearing the transfer appeal.

The CBI identified JKLF leaders Mohammad Yaseen Malik, Manzoor Ahmed Sofi, Javed Ahmed Mir, Showkat Ahmed Bakshi, Javed Ahmed Zargar and Ali Muhammad Mir, as accused in the case.

Now, the CBI is seeking transfer of the case to Jammu wing of the High Court.

The Mehran Lateef Case

On May 13, 2008, Mehran Lateef Mir, a three-year-old boy, returned home from the school and in the afternoon stepped out of his home to buy sweets from a local shop. That was the last time his mother saw him.

Following High Court directions, the CBI on February 6, 2014 took over investigation in the case.

After relentless investigations that continued for over two years, the CBI found no clues about Mehran’s whereabouts. The case was closed after a city court accepted CBI’s closure report to the effect.

Ten years have passed since with no news of Mehran.

Continue Reading

Cover Story

J&K govt to probe audio clip on Kathua rape-and-murder case

Published

on

The Jammu and Kashmir government has forwarded to probe agencies an audio clip in which two people are heard discussing how money was collected purportedly in the name of the eight-year-old Kathua rape-and-murder victim but never reached her family. In the audio clip, which has gone viral on social media, the two can be heard discussing that a huge sum of money was collected in the name of the victim but that her family did not get it.

The discussion in the audio clip also suggests that a fight has already begun among the people who helped collect funds in the name of the girl. “I have heard the audio clip. When this clip came to me, I forwarded it to agencies for probing it,” Deputy Chief Minister Nirmal Singh told reporters here. He also said the “heinous and barbaric” nature of the killing of the girl that rattled entire country must be deeply probed in all its aspects.

“Those who have done it must be punished severely.” “It is sad what has happened with the girl. No human being can do such an act. It is heinous. It is unfortunate that such an incident has been given communal colour. Court has taken cognizance of it (reports by media). I condemn the attempt to polarize the incident. it should not have happened,” Singh said. He said the episode gave bad name not only to Jammu and Kashmir but to the entire country. Now the case is with the court and the government will act on the directions of the court.

A thorough investigation should be done. Action will definitely be taken, he said. The Deputy CM also said if the court directs for a CBI probe, the J&K government will act accordingly. “The girl should get justice and if anybody feels the probe has been biased they can go to the court and put forth their side,” he said. Asked about a girl from Kulgam (Kashmir) alleging sexual exploitation by a politician, he said, “it has been brought to my notice now and I will verify it. Whosoever is the girl or the politician, justice will be done”.

He said the Congress would play “disruptive politics” in Jammu and Kashmir in coming months and asked people to be cautious of its conspiracies. The way the Congress played politics (over the Kathua case), it is an example of divisive politics of the party.

A right-hand man of (Congress leader) Ghulam Nabi Azad was leading an agitation in Jammu and at the same time they were part of the candlelight march,” Singh said, alluding to Jammu High Court Bar Association President B S Salathia.

Salathia has worked as the chief electoral agent of Ghulam Nabi Azad during the 2014 general elections, which Azad lost.

 

Continue Reading

Cover Story

Cow Shed Scam: MLA permits used pipes instead of fresh material

Published

on

An apparent scam has surfaced in Akhnoor block of Jammu district, wherein local legislator of ruling BJP has reportedly permitted ‘used and old’ pipes for the construction of cow shed, instead of fresh material, for which the funds already stand sanctioned.
According to sources, the construction work of Cow Shed was started in February this year, wherein the local MLA authorised the executing agency to get pipes from Public Health Engineering Department, which were already used by the PHE department.
“The MLA had instructed the executing agency to get used pipes from the PHE department, probably free of cost, for installation of tin roof,” said sources, adding that the pipes taken from PHE department were already used.
If sources are to be believed, some of the pipes borrowed from PHE department were rusted, but to give them new look, the executing agency under the patronage of MLA, got them painted.
“The pipes have been taken from the go down of the PHE department without any official auction of the material,” said sources, adding that same pipes are also lying in the godown of the PHE department Akhnoor.
However, a social activist also lodged a telephonic complaint in this regard with Sub-Divisional Magistrate (SDM) Akhnoor.

Continue Reading
Advertisement

Latest

Cover Story9 hours ago

Amid Chorus for Federal Probe Into Kathua Rape, a Look at CBI’s Track Record in J&K

Family members of those accused in the rape and murder of an eight-year-old in Jammu’s Kathua have been sitting on...

Cover Story11 hours ago

Cow Shed Scam: MLA permits used pipes instead of fresh material

An apparent scam has surfaced in Akhnoor block of Jammu district, wherein local legislator of ruling BJP has reportedly permitted...

Cover Story12 hours ago

Rape case was wrongly projected, claims Dy CM

Smelling a bigger conspiracy hatched from across the border to set Jammu and Kashmir on fire by raking up the...

Cover Story1 day ago

BJP’s JK unit website hacked for brief period; restored

The website of the BJP’s Jammu and Kashmir unit was today hacked for a brief period with the hackers posting...

Cover Story1 day ago

Amitabh Bachchan reacts to ‘disgusting’ Kathua rape case

Expressing his disgust at the gruesome Kathua rape case, legendary actor Amitabh Bachchan has said he feels terrible to even...

Cover Story1 day ago

Kathua case: CM praises Jammu residents for upholding amity, brotherhood

JAMMU: Chief Minister Mehbooba Mufti has praised the people of Jammu for upholding harmony and amity despite provocations and for...

Cover Story1 day ago

Have faith in judiciary, let it take call on CBI investigation: Farooq

National Conference (NC) president Farooq Abdullah on Wednesday asked the groups seeking a CBI probe into the Kathua rape-murder case...

Cover Story2 days ago

There’s something wrong with the society: Mehbooba Mufti on Kathua rape case

Jammu and Kashmir Chief Minister Mehbooba Mufti on Wednesday condemned the Kathua gangrape and murder of an eight-year-old girl and...

Cover Story2 days ago

Media houses apologise for revealing Kathua victim’s identity

Media houses on Wednesday apologised before the Delhi High Court and were directed to pay Rs 10 lakh each to...

Cover Story4 days ago

Army man joins Hizbul Mujahideen: JK police officials

An Army man who had gone missing from south Kashmir earlier this month has joined the Hizbul Mujahideen terror group,...

Advertisement

Facebook

Trending

%d bloggers like this: